This area of math covers the basics, from the equation of a line to the binomial theorem and everything in between:
- Logarithm, exponential, polynomial functions, rational numbers
- Basic geometry and theorems, trigonometric identities
- Real and complex numbers, basic properties
- Series, sums, inequalities
- Graphing and plotting, Cartesian and polar coordinates, conic sections
Where You Might Use It
If you want to understand how a search runs faster on a million-item database after you've sorted it, you will come across the concept of "binary search." To understand the dynamics of it, you need to understand logarithms and recurrence equations. Or, if you want to analyze a time series, you may come across concepts like "periodic functions" and "exponential decay."